12 March 2019

My Brother Borrowed $50,000 From My Dad and Never Paid it Back


My father is elderly and lives in Kansas and has a large revocable trust that he and my mother (now deceased) created in 2003. My older brother is the co-trustee and helps my dad with bills, etc. My brother took out a $50,000 loan in secret from my father a number of years ago. He is a co-trustee of my father’s estate.

My father told me recently that my brother never paid it back and that he told my father that he didn’t feel he needed to pay it back. What is the best way to address this so that this doesn’t happen again? Can anything be done about it? It appears there is no documentation, but my brother is furious that I found out about it.

My brother is also forging checks that he writes from my father’s checkbook. It is unknown if he is buying anything for himself or if he is forging checks only to pay bills. Is it unreasonable to request that he provide a periodic accounting to the two other beneficiaries (every three to six months) and what should a periodic accounting report include?

When my father passes, a bank is designated in the trust to be the entity that will be distributing the estate, not my brother.

Concerned Daughter

Read the response by clicking on the link below:
Financial Elder Abuse 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are reviewed before posting.